Whitmore Lake Public Schools is preparing two options for students to begin the 2020-2021 school year. In-person instruction all week (during Phase 4) or the WLPS Virtual Academy.
In an effort to best prepare our schools, we are interested in knowing how many students will be attending in-person or virtually. Please complete this (Survey) to let us know your plans for the fall by August 18. You need to complete one survey per student.
We understand that choosing a virtual school option might be difficult without any knowledge of how it works. Below, I’ve identified some components that I think are important when choosing such an option:
The WLPS Virtual Academy will…
- Require a home internet/wifi connection.
- Utilize a WLPS provided device.
- Require a minimum semester-long commitment.
- Follow WLPS curricular standards.
- Have a WLPS mentor but will utilize some video instruction from contracted educators.
- Have weekly engagement and completion expectations. (Students participating in athletic programs will be ineligible if those expectations are not met.)
- Allow for some personalization at the high school level for college-level or technical coursework.
- Work best if families establish study zones within their homes for appropriate learning time.
More details will be provided next week. If you require immediate assistance evaluating our virtual option, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.